Saturday, January 14, 2012

Can u tint over a window with a chip in it?

I was driving on the highway and a pebble from a 18 wheeler hit my front windshield at chipped it.. I want to get my window tinted and I was trying to figure out, Would that small chip mess up my tint? Or do u think it would be ok and not spread?Can u tint over a window with a chip in it?
IF you happen to be lucky enough to have full coverage insurance, the windshield can be replaced at no charge to you



You can get a windshield repair kit, follow the directions and cure the chip.



Why do you want to tint the windshield? It is illegal in a lot of states to do so. Not raking you over the coals, just curiousCan u tint over a window with a chip in it?
Window tint goes on the inside of the window so the chip wouldn't effect the tint. You should get the chip fixed before it spreads and becomes a crack. Also as far as I know tinting the windshield is illegal in all states so you will have a hard time getting someone to break the law for you. The decreased visibility could leave them open to a large law suit if you get in an accident because of the illegal tint.Can u tint over a window with a chip in it?
Well first off, most states don't allow you to tint the front windshield, so this probably won't be a problem at all. You can only tint to where the rear view mirror attaches to the windshield, anything below is illegal (At least in NY, and I would imagine anywhere in the US). Don't listen to these fools about it being illegal. Here is a link to the ACTUAL laws (http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/). My Audi has 15% black tint on all 5 windows (plus the front visor down to the rear view mirror) and I have had no problems. My uncle is a State Trooper and he even said they won't pull you over for your tint explicitly. If you get pulled over for something else, they can add it on, but they usually give you 14 days or something to fix it and remove the fine.

That being said, if you have decent auto insurance, you can get that chip replaced real easy. Same thing happened to me a few months ago, I called my insurance, and they set up an appointment with SafeLight Auto Glass (not sure if it is a national brand) that night and they took care of it in 15 minutes, can't even tell I had a chip.

Either way, good luck
  • used car values
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment