Thursday, January 19, 2012

The other day I was given a ticket for window tint?

The other day I was given a ticket for window tint. I have no tint in the front windshield nor the driver or passenger side. In georgia is it illegal to have tint and is it legal for a cop to give you a ticket if you didnt know that reguler tint was illegal in georgia ? I do have tint in my back windows but viewers from outside can still see clean through my car.The other day I was given a ticket for window tint?
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" is something we are all taught in government/civics classes.
From the GA code: "...this Code section shall not apply to: (6) The rear windshield or the side or door windows, except those windows to the right and left of the driver of:(A) A multipurpose passenger vehicle." If tinting is legal on windshield, front sides then you should not have been ticketed.

Report Abuse

The other day I was given a ticket for window tint?
It's not illegal for the officer to give you a ticket for a window tint violation. This is pretty common. The officer should have explained the violation of the particular law. It does not matter whether you know about the law or not, ignorance of the law is no excuse.



Side note: I know you said that you didn't have tint on your passenger side window, but police have the right to open a door, when they can't see through your passenger side window as well to see the driver.
Georgia Tint Law Enacted: 2005

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN GEORGIA?



Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Georgia, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.

Front Side Windows Must allow more than 32% of light in.

Back Side Windows Must allow more than 32% of light in.

Rear Window Must allow more than 32% of light in.



HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN GEORGIA?



Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.

Back Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.



OTHER GEORGIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED AMBER are not legal by state law.

Side Mirrors No restrictions.

Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.

Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.

Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.The other day I was given a ticket for window tint?
Ignorance of the law is never a defense that is accepted. Not a judgment call, just how judges see it.



Since this isn't a serious offense, I doubt much will happen. Do you have the option of going to court for the ticket? I've never had a license, so I don't know if all tickets involve court or not. Anyway, if you can go to court, you could always just try explaining that you didn't realize all tint was illegal, especially one that wasn't that dark, but don't use it as a whiny "Take away the ticket" ploy, Tell the judge that you are getting or have already gotten it changed. If you've already changed it, even better I would think. Maybe the judge will toss it or lower the fine if you're that cooperative.



Who knows. I'm just shootin' in the dark here.
I'm not a cop, but you have no idea how much stuff the police just let go because it is minor. I do not know the full story here but agree: ignorance of the law is no excuse.



When I first moved to my present abode, my license plate expired during the move, new job, etc and I forgot. That's my fault. I was in a parking lot and a local police cruiser pulled in. The young officer asked if I knew my tag was expired and I said yes. I told him I kept meaning to look up the local place to change tags, and he kindly made an offer: "Meet me in this parking lot at 1pm since I have to deliver a prisoner to the county jail, and the vehicle tag place is there. Just follow me and you'll get no ticket."



I think my polite attitude and admitting I knew it was expired had a lot to do with it.
Yes, the cops can give you a ticket for that (and pretty much anything....it will make your head spin)



Fortunately, I don't think the ticket for window tint will be very high but your going to have to pay it.



Georgia counties are strapped for cash. Hell I've seen police officers sitting on 285 at night with their lights of using a radar.

(I personally think that is a tragedy waiting to happen, but thats another story)
Times are getting so hard and they need money

so much anymore that you may get a ticket now

for jaywalking in a swimming pool! In other words, once they have your name as an offender on their ticket pad and when you go before a judge, you will give up some money, whatever the judge calls for. Feel lucky the tint

was all he wrote you up over, I'm sure had he

tried, he would have crumped up another charge

or two.
Obviously, yours and the cops idea of window tint are different. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
  • vin number
  • 1 comment:

    1. This is so cool. I am such a huge fan of their work. really am impressed with how much you have worked to make this website so enjoyable.
      car window tinting utah

      ReplyDelete